Friday, January 19, 2018

Assignment 2A: Bug List

Assignment 2A - Bug List

1.  Long waits for the crosswalk on SW13th St
WHY it exists: People driving cars need to pass through the intersection as well, and there is many more cars trying to drive through than people trying to walk across the road in most cases.
2. Puke in the toilets/sink in the Broward 3rd floor bathroom
WHY it exists: Students cannot handle their alcohol consumption and drink too much, making them sick and causing them to throw up in the bathroom.
3. UF Wifi goes out when I am trying to work on an assignment
WHY it exists: Too many people connected to the Wifi may cause the connection to falter or shut down altogether temporarily during, or there is interference to the Wifi and as a result, the connection is affected.
4. Forgetting my key when i leave my room and have to wait until someone can let me back in
WHY it exists: Sometimes i am in a hurry and remembering that I need my key to get back in my dorm completely slips my mind.
5. Walking to the superior Gator dining instead of the much closer Broward dining.
WHY it exists: Gator dining has much better food options, as well as a larger selection than Broward dining, and they have many more TV's than Broward  has, as well as more areas to sit.
6. When my contacts get stuck in my eye
WHY it exists: My daily disposal contact lenses are thinner than normal ones and they often get stuck under my eyelid, eventually sliding out several minutes later once i put another contact in my eye.
7. When the Broward Laundry machines won't take my card and I have to move all my clothes to another washer or dryer.
WHY it exists: Sometimes, certain laundry machines will be out of order or just does not display the "Insert card" message on the screen, and it would be after I put in all my clothes already before I realize it is not working.
8. When people order too much on their pita at Pita Pit and i cannot wrap it easily
WHY it exists: People feel the need to get the absolute most out of what they paid for and want every single topping we have available on their pita, making it very difficult to wrap, often causing rips and tears in the already fragile pita bread.
9.  Paying for a textbook I never even open
WHY it exists: Often times, professors will recommend or require books for the class but with other resources that are provided such as lectures or practice tests or smokin' notes, the textbook becomes inessential and does not need to be bought.
10. PlayStation connection lags when playing online in my dorm
WHY it exists: The UF Wifi is not strong enough to reach my dorm room fully and so as a result, the PlayStation online quality suffers a little.
11. Having to skip breakfast because i wake up too late for class or work
WHY it exists: I set multiple alarms to wake me up in the morning but i am undisciplined and always fall back asleep and wait until the last alarm because then i know i have to get up, but by that time, it is too late to eat. 
12.  When the line at Subway at Rawlings is too long
WHY it exists: The Subway at Rawlings is the only food establishment nearby that is open past 11:00 PM and so everybody that lives in Broward and Rawlings and other nearby dorms always go Subway once the dining hall closes.
13. When the trash builds up in my dorm 
WHY it exists: The trash buildups quickly in my room and neither my roommate or I like to take it out when it gets full so we usually just wait until it overflows and needs to be taken care of.
14. When Student Rec is too crowded at night
WHY it exists: There are only two places to workout on campus, and Southwest gym is very far away from most of campus and so everybody goes to student rec. I try and go either early in the morning or late at night, when there is less people, but sometimes it is still too crowded to do everything i want to do.
15. Having to walk to the Reitz to print papers
WHY it exists: I do not own a personal printer, and Broward hall does not have a printer in its library, so i have to walk down to the Reitz union and use their computer lab every time i need to print something out.
16. When there is no paper towels in the Broward hall bathroom
WHY it exists: The custodial staff refills paper towels on the weekends, but people overuse the paper towels all the time and often times by the end of the week, there is none left to dry your hands.
17. When my phone randomly dies when the battery is above 10%
WHY it exists: As newer Apple products come out, the older models start to break down after a while. Often times, the battery life of an older model iPhone starts to dwindle until it gets to the point where it will often die long before it reaches 1%
18. When the lights turn off when I am in the shower in the Broward hall bathroom
WHY it exists: The lights in the bathroom are operated by a motion sensor but they do not reach the shower stalls, making it so that if you are in the shower too long and nobody else is in the bathroom, the lights will turn off.
19. Turning the TV off at night when it is time to sleep
WHY it exists: I am used to sleeping with the TV on at night, because it is a comfort to me and I like having the stimulation. But my roommate does not like sleeping with it on so i have had to get used to sleeping without it.
20. Having to pay when I play pool at the Reitz Game Room
WHY it exists: The Reitz charges money to let people use its pool tables, ping pong tables, and bowling alley, even though it should just be a place where students can blow off steam and relax without having to pay each time to use them, but they have to make money some way.

Reflection:  This assignment was not so difficult for me because living in a dorm hall with dozens of people makes it so there is often things that go on that bug me, especially when sharing one bathroom.  Perhaps if I was still living at home with my own space and a routine i was completely familiar with, the assignment would be a little tougher, but still getting used to a new lifestyle makes it so there are many things I can identify that bother me, because I have just not gotten used to them yet.
In the last year, I have had to deal with many changes in academics, work, and where I am living, and so it becomes easier to identify these "bugs" when things are still new and still a little uncomfortable.  I do not consider myself high maintenance by any means, but coming from a home with resources like food, printing, and a steady internet connection, among other things I needed readily available to me, to now sharing a small living space with many others can be bothersome in many ways. My routine has changed drastically and it is still taking some getting used to, so I was able to draft a list of 20 bugs fairly quickly.






5 comments:

  1. All your bugs were really interesting. I totally agree with the puking problem. In my dorm we experience the same issue with drunk people not able to resist throwing up in toilets and sinks. I totally agree with the unreliability of the UF wifi and about how terrible its service and its networking are. I do not have a printer either and have to go to reitz union to print anything. I find that very annoying too. I find it interesting how you didn't find this assignment challenging since I had a very hard time thinking about things that bugged me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am one of the older people in the class...I am 38 and I am an online student. I was not able to go away to college and your bug list made me happy that I didn't go away. I cannot relate to those problems, but dorm life seems tough. I can appreciate your struggles as I am a private person and would not like to go through what you seem to be dealing with. Truth be told I was laughing a little at some of the bugs, but I would encourage you to try to enjoy the time (I'm sure you are). As for a critique, I know that you were dealing with your scope of reality, but as you get older, the world is a large place. Start taking a look at the outside world... Good job though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I currently live in Nashville and we had a snow/ice storm last week that caused several residents to stay home. Due to the high volume of people using the Wi-Fi at the same time, the connection stopped working all together and it was very frustrating. I felt guilty with how frustrated I got at the situation but it is what I rely on for school. That was a very good point to make in your bug list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You live right across from the architecture printing lab! just print your papers there.. not sure if its free but probably just a few cents per page. It's right across from broward dining hall, two huge doors on the long wall.

    ReplyDelete