Friday, March 2, 2018

Assignment 15A: Figuring Out Buyer Behavior No. 2

             In my first interview, I presented my idea to a middle aged male parent. After explaining the concept, I received feedback in what I should fix, or be sure to implement, if I launch a product like this. He said that the size would be important to many potential customers. A breathalyzer that was too big and took up to much room would not look very appealing to buyers that care about the look of their car. Being able to attach a small breathalyzer in a color that would not stick out like black or grey would greatly enhance the appeal of purchasing one and would not deter  as many  people caught up in trying to look stylish or cool he felt.
              My second interview was with a female parent of  young children who had an idea in making the product less susceptible to being bypassed by a flaw in the system that I had thought of previously. She informed me that if the breathalyzer test detected a blood alcohol level above the legal driving limit when tested, there should be either a type of facial recognition scan  in order to make sure that the ones that test the breathalyzer are the ones that are driving the vehicle, or another suggestion was that an Uber or some other transportation service is immediately called once detecting a failing test. It would be difficult to implement these ideas but I can see how this can further solve problems and close loopholes in the product function.
              My last Interviewee did not suggest any innovative ideas to add to the product to make it better, but was adamant in believing that the best way to sell a product like this would be through online sales and that the quality was the single most important aspect. He stressed that when it comes to human lives at stake, the product must be as accurate as possible to prevent people who are intoxicated from being on the roads. Not only that, but to wrongly fail a test and keep a sober person from driving their vehicle home could scare a huge percentage of people from purchasing a faulty product. Also, he mentioned that people may be embarrassed or feel self conscious when buying this in a store, not wanting to feel judged by others, so online would be the best medium to buy this product in his opinion.

Reflection: I was encouraged by the amount of helpful feedback and suggestions I received for my potential business product and based off these interviews, I can start to shape the best way to market a product like this. Purchasers will feel they made a good decision buying this product if it serves its function and if they feel was bought at an affordable price, and would feel its a bad idea of the product was faulty or became a nuisance to someone that would never drink and drive. Other important elements to the product to some people would be how it looks and how difficult it would be to "get around" its designed function by exploiting a loophole of some sort. Retail could be an option in large generic stores like Walmart or Target, but could work in other locations such as auto parts stores. Yet, I think that online would be the most successful medium of purchase due to its size and possible negative connotation associated with buying a breathalyzer for your car.


3 comments:

  1. These set of interviews were definitely insightful and it did provide with very creative ideas. I like the idea about having a facial recognition to prevent others from driving the cars. I understand the issue about buying it in the store and about the embarrassment that it may lead to. I think that that is a very small issue and that it can be left aside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you got some good feedback. It looks like people are accepting of the product. I like the idea of online sales because you won't have to keep a large inventory which costs more money. I agree that accuracy is a huge deal. Any false readings (positive or negative tests) could create a lot of bad press and affect the brand negatively. This could affect any potential sales.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely think the design and look of this product would be a huge selling point to customers. Selling this product online as well as at stores like Walmart and target is a great idea too. Parents could see it on shelves at stores or on links from Facebook, which can be shared and viewed by millions of people within hours.

    ReplyDelete